The Workfare Income Supplement Scheme was introduced to help lower-wage workers seek employment and stay employed.
All Singapore Citizens who are 35 years old and above in December of the workyear are eligible, provided they meet the following criteria:
- worked at least 2 months in a 3-month period;
- earned a gross monthly salary (basic + overtime + bonuses etc) of not more than $1,700 for the period worked; and
- stay in a property with a value not exceeding $13,000 as assessed at 31 Dec of the previous work year.
The WIS will be enhanced wef 1 Jan 2013 as follows:
- income cap has been raised to $1,900 per month;
- maximum WIS payout to employees is increased by up to $700, with more going to workers aged 45 years and above;
- employees will now recieve 40% of WIS in cash (up from 29%) and the remainder in CPF contributions; and
- more of the WIS paid to CPF accounts will be channelled to Medisave and Special accounts.
Additionally, to ensure that the WIS is focussed on low-income households, two additional criteria have been introduced:
- the individual must not own two or more properties; and
- the annual assessable income of his spouse does not exceed $70,000
Information is correct at time of publication.